Letter from the Editor: Looking Forward

gb-editorial2

For many of us, the spring semester is a time of looking forward to the future. Summer travels, time to relax and self care await. For many graduating seniors, such as myself it is a horrific-yet-beautiful amalgamation of fear, uncertainty, and unbridled excitement. On a broader scale, perhaps this unique combination of emotions can be extrapolated to the future as a whole, not just our personal futures.

In a time full of change and innovation, there's no telling what our future could hold. The developments of artificial intelligence, machine learning and interactive technology, for example, have already begun to impact how we interact with ourselves and others. We may be on the cusp of a massive societal shift with the advent of the Metaverse, virtual reality and augmented reality. Or maybe not. Who knows? Only time will tell.

Regardless of what the future may or may not hold, I know one thing for certain: change and innovation are inevitable, and we must adapt to it and embrace it. Looking forward, do you see a version of you who willingly accepts change? Or one who digs their heels in, refusing to move while the whole world moves and advances around you?

In the Spring 2023 print edition, we chose to embrace change by exploring new interactive technology and augmented reality. You'll see lots of QR codes to scan in this issue. You'll see new ways of interacting with a story and engaging with the world around you. So point your phone camera at everything you can. Give it a shot. 

This is one of the things I love the most about student media. We can give things a shot. We aren't bound to the same expectations of legacy media organizations who often do things the way they have for decades because "that's how we've always done it." We have a unique opportunity to grow and adapt the medium. We can be flexible in ways in which other publications are inflexible. We can question the status quo and explore new things. After all, who says a magazine has to exist only on paper?

In this issue of Garnet & Black Magazine, we want to inspire you to think about how you can be a part of shaping the future. We invite you to read this edition with an open mind and to consider the role you can play in shaping the way we live for years to come.

As always, thanks for reading Garnet & Black Magazine.

P.S. Part of this letter was written by an AI. Isn't the future cool?

SHARE THIS ARTICLE